State Road 542 Design Projects
How the Road Will Look
The PD&E study divided SR 542 into six segments:
- Segment A – 1st Street to 400 feet east of 6th Street SE in Winter Haven
- Segment B – 400 feet east of 6th Street SE to 14th Street SE
- Segment C – 14th Street SE to Buckeye Loop Road
- Segment D – Buckeye Loop Road to 1,500 feet west of Cypresswood Boulevard
- Segment E – 1,500 feet west of Cypresswood Boulevard to US 27
- Segment F – US 27 to 1,900 feet east of US 27 in Dundee
The following illustrations show the PD&E-approved roadway sections and the current proposed design sections, which show how SR 542 will look following the improvements.
Approved Roadway Sections
From 1st Street to 6th Street – Widen Central Avenue to three lanes with a center left-turn lane.
From 6th Street to 14th Street SE – Reconstruct Central Avenue/Lake Elbert Drive to three lanes with a center left-turn lane.
From 14th Street SE to Buckeye Loop Road – widen Dundee Road to three lanes
From Buckeye Loop Road to US 27 – widen Dundee Road to a four-lane divided highway
Segment F - from US 27 to 1,900 feet east of US 27 in Dundee – SR 542 transitions from a four-lane highway to the two-lane roadway in Dundee.